Friday, December 28, 2018

Daily Devotional
by Shastity Ortiz 
 
Psalm 61:2 KJV
From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee. When my heart is overwhelmed, lead me to the rock that is higher than I. 

As the Christmas is fast approaching I wanted to talk about something a little different and something that many are dealing with in them self or possibly a family member, depression. Depression affects people differently and people handle it differently.  I know that everyone is very busy during this time but I would encourage you to pick up and call a friend that you haven’t talked to in a while, a family member, or even someone you haven’t seen at church. Take that 5 or 10 minutes to make sure they are doing okay or to let them know you still love them. It might be that call that gives them hope again.   

Please see below what Dr. Harold J. Sala has to say:

Holidays and winter are a major contributor to depression, especially when they are accompanied by loneliness and separation from your family or close friends. At times medication can help those who struggle with this and thank God for that help, but often we medicate a problem or situation which can be changed, and with the change, the depression factor begins to dissipate.

If you are facing post-holiday blues bordering on depression, don’t punish yourself or think, “If I were more spiritual, I could snap out of this.” But I do suggest that you force yourself to talk to someone, letting the person know exactly how you feel. You also need to remind yourself of what you’ve probably pushed aside—your situation is not a matter of indifference to God. He knows where you are and will bring you out. You not only need to talk to someone else but also with God. In his times of despair and depression, David turned to God, who gave him deliverance. And finally, get help. To do that you’ve got to overcome the feeling that you are sliding into a pit of despair and either feel incapable of reaching out to someone or you don’t want to.

But whatever you do, don’t give up. With David, you can cry out, “When my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I” Psalm 61:2 

In Him,
Shastity Ortiz 

No comments:

Post a Comment